Repost: Missing security_mmap_file() in remap_file_pages syscall

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Mon Mar 25 19:53:34 UTC 2019

On 3/25/19 1:33 PM, TongZhang wrote:
> Dear Kernel Developers,
>
> We’d like to bring this up for a discussion again.
>
> Several months ago we posted an email discussing a case where remap_file_pages() has no security_mmap_file() check.
> At that time we were told that do_mmap_pgoff() will base the new VMA permission on the old one.
> But somehow we still think the check is needed, for the reason that the advisory could first do a
> mmap() which can pass SELinux check then remap using a completely different file or region of file,
> which could possibly pose a risk.

I don't see an issue there. The incoming prot value from userspace is
required to be zero (otherwise remap_file_pages returns -EINVAL), so the
prot passed to do_mmap_pgoff() is entirely computed based on the
existing vma flags.  The file is likewise obtained from the existing
vma.  Any flags supplied by the caller other than MAP_NONBLOCK are
ignored.  MAP_SHARED is always set in the flags passed to
do_mmap_pgoff(), and the existing vma was required to have VM_SHARED set
or remap_file_pages() would have returned -EINVAL.  If it spans more
than one vma, their files and flags must match.  It appears that all of
the inputs relevant to selinux_mmap_file() are necessarily the same as
they would have been when creating the original vma.  The same appears
to also be true for other security modules IIUC.