Preferred subj= with multiple LSMs

Casey Schaufler casey at schaufler-ca.com
Tue Jul 23 17:32:18 UTC 2019

On 7/23/2019 7:06 AM, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 at 18:30:35 -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 6:01 PM Casey Schaufler <casey at schaufler-ca.com> wrote:
>>> I suggest that if supporting dbus well is assisted by
>>> making reasonable restrictions on what constitutes a valid LSM
>>> "context" that we have a good reason.
>> I continue to believe that restrictions on the label format are a bad
>> idea
> Does this include the restriction "the label does not include \0",
> which is an assumption that dbus is already relying on since I checked
> it in the thread around
> <https://marc.info/?l=linux-security-module&m=142323508321029&w=2>?
> Or is that restriction so fundamental that it's considered OK?
>
> (Other user-space tools like ls -Z and ps -Z also rely on that assumption
> by printing security contexts with %s, as far as I know.)

The "-Z" options for ls and ps are unfortunately hard coded for SELinux.
For applications to be general in the presence of LSMs you are correct
that there need to be some assumptions.

> dbus does not require a way to multiplex multiple LSMs' labels in a
> printable text string, so from my point of view, multiplexed labels do
> not necessarily have to be in what Casey calls the "Hideous" format,
> or in any text format at all: anything with documented rules for parsing
> (including the unescaping that readers are expected to apply, if there
> is any) would be fine. Based on the assumption of no "\0", I previously
> suggested a "\0"-delimited encoding similar to /proc/self/cmdline, which
> would not need any escaping/unescaping:
>
>     "apparmor\0" <apparmor label> "\0"
>     "selinux\0" <SELinux label> "\0"
>     "\0" (or this could be omitted since it's redundant with the length)
>
> which would be fine (indeed, actually easier than the "Hideous" format)
> from dbus' point of view.

I am an advocate of a single string due to the preponderance of
scripting language programing in today's world. It would be easy to provide
a library function to transform the "Hideous" format into the "cmdline"
format or, I'll admit, the other way round. I'm not so set in my opinion
that if it came down to "cmdline" or nothing I wouldn't cave in.

> dbus does not strictly need reading security labels for sockets or
> processes to be atomic, either: it would be OK if we can get the complete
> list of LSM labels *somehow*, possibly in O(number of LSMs) rather than
> O(1) syscalls (although I'd prefer O(1)).

Stephen Smalley did an excellent job of outlining the dangers of
using the proposed "display" mechanism with multiple calls to
get the complete attribute set. Adding a new interface that gets
them all at once addresses that set of problems.

> However, the getsockopt() interface only lets the kernel return one thing
> per socket option, and I assume the networking maintainers probably don't
> want to have to add SO_PEERAPPARMOR, SO_PEERSELINUX... for each LSM -

Or a getsockopt() option that takes an LSM name and returns the value
for that module. You could do any of those, but you still end up with O(n)
and a need to know in advance what security modules to look for.

> so this part at least would probably be easier as a single blob in some
> text or binary format.

For the long term I agree. I still have to deal with legacy services
and applications that won't be updated in the foreseeable future, which
is why the old interfaces can't be updated. New interfaces are required.
I'm open to discussion on details, including format.