Preferred subj= with multiple LSMs

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Mon Jul 22 22:30:35 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 6:01 PM Casey Schaufler <casey at schaufler-ca.com> wrote:

> >> "We've never had to think about having general rules on what security
> >> modules do before..."
> >>
> >> We famously haven't imposed restrictions on the label format before
> >> now, and this seems like a pretty poor reason to start.
> > Agreed.
>
> In a follow on thread
>
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-security-module/msg29996.html
>
> we've been discussing the needs of dbus-daemon in a multiple LSM
> environment. I suggest that if supporting dbus well is assisted by
> making reasonable restrictions on what constitutes a valid LSM
> "context" that we have a good reason. While there are ways to
> present groups of arbitrary hunks of data, why would we want to?

I continue to believe that restrictions on the label format are a bad
idea, and I further believe that multiplexing the labels is going to
be a major problem that will haunt us for many, many years.  If we are
going to support multiple simultaneous LSMs I think we need to find a
way to represent those labels independently.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com