[GIT PULL] Keys: Set 4 - Key ACLs for 5.3

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Jul 10 18:35:07 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 2:30 PM David Howells <dhowells at redhat.com> wrote:

> Here's my fourth block of keyrings changes for the next merge window.  They
> change the permissions model used by keys and keyrings to be based on an
> internal ACL by the following means:

It turns out that this is broken, and I'll probably have to revert the
merge entirely.

With this merge in place, I can't boot any of the machines that have
an encrypted disk setup. The boot just stops at

  systemd[1]: Started Forward Password Requests to Plymouth Directory Watch.
  systemd[1]: Reached target Paths.

and never gets any further. I never get the prompt for a passphrase
for the disk encryption.

Apparently not a lot of developers are using encrypted volumes for
their development machines.

I'm not sure if the only requirement is an encrypted volume, or if
this is also particular to a F30 install in case you need to be able
to reproduce. But considering that you have a redhat email address,
I'm sure you can find a F30 install somewhere with an encrypted disk.

David, if you can fix this quickly, I'll hold off on the revert of it
all, but I can wait only so long. I've stopped merging stuff since I
noticed my machines don't work (this merge window has not been
pleasant so far - in addition to this issue I had another entirely
unrelated boot failure which made bisecting this one even more fun).

So if I don't see a quick fix, I'll just revert in order to then
continue to do pull requests later today. Because I do not want to do
further pulls with something that I can't boot as a base.

                 Linus