[GIT PULL] SafeSetID MAINTAINERS file update for v5.3

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Aug 5 18:20:59 UTC 2019

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 7:28 AM Konstantin Ryabitsev
<konstantin at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 10:47:54AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > - maybe pr-tracker-bot ignores follow-up emails with "Re:" in the
> > subject?
>
> Yes, this is the culprit. Here are the matching regexes:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mricon/korg-helpers.git/tree/pr-tracker-bot.py#n41
>
> Normally, pull requests don't come in as replies -- this is the first
> one that got missed in months, to my knowledge.

Most pull requests certainly are proper starts of threads. And I
generally wish they were, because I know I myself tend to skim over
emails much more quickly if it's some old discussion that I either
consider solved or where somebody else is handling it, so if I see a
pull request in the middle of a thread, it's much more likely that I'd
miss it.

It does happen, though. Not just in situations like this, where I
replied to the original pull request with some reason for why I
wouldn't pull it, and then the fixed pull came in as part of the
thread.

Al Viro does that to me occasionally, for example. Some discussion
about a vfs problem, and then the pull request is in the middle of
that thread. You can see an example of that here:

     https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20180125002151.GR13338@ZenIV.linux.org.uk/

although in that case it was Davem who merged it (in merge commit 8ec59b44a006.

Of course, pr-tracker-bot wouldn't have noticed that one anyway,
because it also doesn't have "GIT PULL" or anything like that in the
subject line at all. So maybe it's not a great example.

I don't know if it's worth changing the pr-tracker-bot rules. I *do*
think that the whole unquoted

   for you to fetch changes up to [hex string]

is by far the strongest single signal for a pull request, but it's not
clear that it's worth spending a lot of CPU time looking for that
unless you have a strong signal in the subject line.

So I consider this "solved", and maybe people should just realize that
they won't get the automated responses unless they do everything just
right.

                  Linus