out of tree lsm's

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Mon Mar 20 19:30:15 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Peter Moody <peter.moody at gmail.com> wrote:
> with the success of stackable lsm's, it occurs to me that
> site-specific, out-of-tree modules could be extremely worthwhile.

Keep in mind we don't have a general purpose solution ... yet.  Casey
continues to work on it, and I'm sure he'll have something at some
point, but right now you are limited to a single "big" LSMs (e.g.
SELinux) and some combination of "small" LSMs (e.g. Yama).

> I realize that it doesn't make a lot of sense to have something that I
> can insmod/rmmod well post-boot, but being able to at least stuff an
> lsm in an initrd that's loaded during boot could be very helpful.
>
> Without having any code to pick apart just now, is the idea of this
> functionality amenable to folks?

I think the usual comments about out-of-tree modules apply here;
you're free to do what you like, but upstream is only going to offer
limited help/support if/until the code starts its way upstream.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com