SELinux "filtering" capabilities?

Casey Schaufler casey at schaufler-ca.com
Tue Apr 18 22:37:42 UTC 2017

I don't expect anyone else to have run into this
as I am working with SELinux and Smack on the same
machine at the same time. While there are a number
of interactions that I can explain, I have one that
is perplexing me. I assume something rational is
going on, but I am having trouble tracking it down.

A process with CAP_MAC_ADMIN can change its Smack label
by writing the new label to /proc/self/attr/smack/current.*
If I have both SELinux and Smack enabled the write fails
with -EPERM, indicating that the process lacks CAP_MAC_ADMIN.
Instrumenting the Smack code verifies that, even though the
process reports having CAP_MAC_ADMIN, the capability is gone
in smack_setprocattr().

It seem that this could be happening in the write() path,
or perhaps an artifact of SELinux not knowing something
special about smackfs. I don't see anything obvious.
Unfortunately, it is going to be somewhat difficult for
me to claim that I have SELinux and Smack working, if not
together, at least begrudgingly on the same system.

----
* The smack subdir of attr isn't upstream yet, but I hope
  to get it there real soon.