[PATCH v3 0/3] proc,security,selinux: let SELinux block FOLL_FORCE for /proc/self/mem
Paul Moore
paul at paul-moore.com
Mon Sep 21 02:33:15 UTC 2026
On Wed, Sep 16, 2026 at 5:01 AM Christian Brauner <brauner at kernel.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2026 at 01:05:39PM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 10, 2026 at 3:48 AM Christian Brauner <brauner at kernel.org> wrote:
> > > On Mon, 07 Sep 2026 23:00:15 +0200, Jann Horn wrote:
> > > > proc,security,selinux: let SELinux block FOLL_FORCE for /proc/self/mem
> > > >
> > > > The goal of this series is to let SELinux prevent the use of FOLL_FORCE
> > > > when a process writes into /proc/self/mem and the system is configured
> > > > with PROC_MEM_FORCE_ALWAYS (which used to be the default behavior, and
> > > > is still used by current Android devices).
> > > >
> > > > [...]
> > >
> > > Let's move this on a shared branch that both the vfs tree and the lsm
> > > tree pull. That's the standard way of handling dependencies between two
> > > subsystems that want to route code that touches both of them. Branch is
> > > stable.
> >
> > For some reason (/me looks at gmail) your email never hit my inbox, I
> > only noticed it now while reviewing Jann's patchset.
>
> Oh weird?
>
> > Christian, can you explain why you merged LSM code that I haven't
> > ACK'd? We've talked about this in the past and I think I've been
> > fairly clear about it; I wouldn't merge VFS code without an
> > ACK/Reviewed-by/etc. from you or Al, I've been expecting the same
> > consideration from you.
> >
> > While I don't have a problem with a topic branch for this, can you
> > also explain why this topic branch should live in the VFS tree? There
> > are more changes under security/ than fs/, and unless I've misread
> > Jann's cover letter, this entire patchset is focused around enabling
> > LSM/SELinux controls and not necessarily anything really new from a
> > VFS perspective.
>
> See the reply on the bpf thread. I think this just a misunderstanding. I
> was under the impression that with minor tweaks v2 was already acked by
> lsm people.
>
> In general, if a subsystems hooks into the vfs layer and filesystems
> that are directly maintained by the vfs layer then the vfs tree provides
> the shared branch. This is not at all specific to security. It's just
> more pronounced for notify or security because hooks are accepted
> layering violations that place constraints on how vfs code itself is
> organized.
>
> I think this is just a misunderstanding that would've been easy to
> clarify without the kerfuffle.
I'll follow up in the other thread, but I will just say here that had
this been the first time there had been an issue like this, it would
have likely been different. However, from my perspective this was
continuing a pattern of behavior I had previously talked with you
about changing, and as a result I was much more annoyed having to
revisit the same process issues.
--
paul-moore.com
More information about the Linux-security-module-archive
mailing list