[RFC PATCH 0/2] keys: Address lookup_user_key() mutability
Serge E. Hallyn
serge at hallyn.com
Mon Oct 5 13:09:24 UTC 2026
On Sun, Oct 04, 2026 at 08:54:06PM +0300, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 08:55:16AM +0300, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> > The main objective in these patches is to remove to unneeded mutability
> > from key look ups. It does harm and brings no value so it is pretty obvious
> > to me that addressing this harmful behaviour is what we should do.
> >
> > I based the first patch on what Jann suggested in [1]. Nothing too clever here
> > and I'm ofc open for further suggestions.
> >
> > [1] https://lore.kernel.org/keyrings/CAG48ez0XjVSR=M--UBauTm8sJuc+ZbhKzaPa3a6wrSVHyoKevw@mail.gmail.com/
> >
> > Jarkko Sakkinen (2):
> > keys: Return user session keyring on lookup
> > keys: Reject keyring creation with overridden credentials
> >
> > Documentation/security/keys/core.rst | 7 ++-
> > security/keys/process_keys.c | 65 +++++++++++++++-------------
> > 2 files changed, 40 insertions(+), 32 deletions(-)
> >
> > --
> > 2.47.3
> >
>
> So.. should I move forward to with non-RFC v2?
Patch 2 absolutely makes sense, "doc, it hurts when I do this", "don't do
that then."
Regarding patch 1, that seems like quite a change in behavior, right? I
don't see any docs or comments that promise the current behavior, but
has any userspace or subsystem come to depend on it? I guess that, if so,
then it just has to create a link to the user session keyring like pam
(according to what I've read) does?
> Note that some tags (e.g., Fixes) are missing simply because this is RFC.
>
> Br, Jarkko
More information about the Linux-security-module-archive
mailing list