Differentiating audit rules in an LSM stack

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Fri Dec 22 21:02:41 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 3:01 PM, Casey Schaufler <casey at schaufler-ca.com> wrote:
> The audit rule field types AUDIT_SUBJ_* and AUDIT_OBJ_* are
> defined generically and used by both SELinux and Smack to identify
> fields that are interesting to them. If SELinux and Smack are running
> concurrently both modules will identify audit rules as theirs if
> either has requested the field. Before I go off and create a clever
> solution I think it wise to ask if anyone has thought about or has
> strong opinions on how best to address this unfortunate situation.
>
> We know that SELinux and Smack together is not an especially
> interesting configuration. It is, however, a grand test case for
> generality of the solution. Any module that wanted to audit fields
> that are defined generically will have this sort of problem.

I think the biggest concern here is going to be what Steve's audit
userspace will tolerate.  I might suggest simply duplicating the
fields for each LSM that is running, e.g. "subj=<selinux_label>
subj=<smack_label> subj=<lsmX_label> ...", but I have no idea if
Steve's userspace can handle multiple instances of the same field in a
single record.

My initial thinking is that adding LSM-specific subj/obj fields would
be a mistake.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com