ANN: LSM and stable kernel changes

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Thu Jun 8 00:27:49 UTC 2023

Hello all,

After a discussion with the stable kernel maintainers, I've learned
that they have a list of subsystems where only commits that are
explicitly marked for the stable kernels are backported to the stable
kernels.  As this has always made more sense to me than the current
approach of simply backporting everything with a 'Fixes:' tag, I've
asked the stable kernel maintainers to add the LSM layer to that list.

I don't view this as a significant change for the LSM since I have
been explicitly marking stable candidate commits as part of the normal
merge process, but it is something to keep in mind.  My hope is that
this should help reduce unnecessary, and risky, backports.

If any other LSM maintainers are interested in taking a similar
approach, I would encourage you to send mail to the stable kernel
maintainers.

--
paul-moore.com