ANN: new LSM guidelines

Mickaël Salaün mic at digikod.net
Thu Aug 3 09:44:21 UTC 2023

On Wed, Aug 02, 2023 at 06:00:22PM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 1, 2023 at 6:47 PM Paul Moore <paul at paul-moore.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've updated the README.md doc based on the feedback, and copied the
> > two new sections below for easier review.  If anyone has any
> > additional feedback or concerns, please let me know.
>
> Another update based on feedback received (thanks everyone!).  Just as
> before, I welcome any comments or feedback you are able to share.
>
> ## New LSM Hook Guidelines
>
> While LSM hooks are considered outside of the Linux Kernel's stable API

s/Kernel/kernel/g

[...]

> * New LSMs must be accompanied by a test suite to verify basic functionality
> and help identify regressions.  Test coverage does not need to reach a specific
> percentage, but core functionality and any user interfaces should be well
> covered by the test suite.  Integration with existing automated Linux Kernel
> testing services is encouraged.

I'd suggest to require tests to be publicly available and easy (or not
too difficult) to run for the sake of sanity of other kernel developers
that might need to quickly fix (critical) bugs even without the help of
the maintainer (who might be unavailable for various reasons).  I guess
you could argue that decent kernel code needs a reasonable bus factor
protection, but making tests available and easy to use is a quality
guarantee.