LSM stacking in next for 6.1?

John Johansen john.johansen at canonical.com
Wed Sep 7 17:23:33 UTC 2022

On 9/7/22 09:41, Casey Schaufler wrote:
> On 9/7/2022 7:41 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 8:10 PM John Johansen
>> <john.johansen at canonical.com> wrote:
>> ..

>>> correct but the reverse does work ...
>> Sure, that doesn't surprise me, but that isn't the example Casey brought up.
>
> I said that I'm not sure how they go about doing Android on Ubuntu.
> I brought it up because I've seen it.

LSM stacking for that use case is necessary but insufficient. At a minimum
SELinux would need bounding, and realistically some other gymnastics. I
don't hold out hope of it happening soon if ever. I have told the anbox people
such. At the momement anbox disables SELinux when run in a container

https://github.com/anbox/platform_system_core/commit/71907fc5e7833866be6ae3c120c602974edf8322

there has been work on using a VM instead so that they can have SELinux
but I am not current on how/when that is used.

Where Canonical is interested in LSM stacking is running snaps with apparmor
confinement on top of SELinux distros. I know snaps aren't popular but it is
a much more realistic and attainable use case for LSM stacking.