LSM stacking in next for 6.1?

Casey Schaufler casey at schaufler-ca.com
Wed Sep 7 17:08:47 UTC 2022

On 9/7/2022 8:13 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 8:31 PM Casey Schaufler <casey at schaufler-ca.com> wrote:

>>> If you are running AppArmor on the host system and SELinux in a
>>> container you are likely going to have some *very* bizarre behavior as
>>> the SELinux policy you load in the container will apply to the entire
>>> system, including processes which started *before* the SELinux policy
>>> was loaded.  While I understand the point you are trying to make, I
>>> don't believe the example you chose is going to work without a lot of
>>> other changes.
>> I don't use it myself, but I know it's frighteningly popular.
> All right, I'm going to call your bluff here - who are these people
> running AppArmor on the host and SELinux in a container?  What policy
> are they using, it's surely not an unmodified Fedora/RHEL or upstream
> refpol policy?  Do they run in enforcing mode without massive
> permissions granted to kernel_t (I'm guessing all of the host
> applications would appear as kernel_t)?  How do you handle multiple
> SELinux containers?

Beats me. All that SELinux policy stuff is over my head. ;)

Seriously, once they got the stacking patches applied they thanked
me for the help and disappeared until they decided to update the
kernel version and asked for help with the next round of patches.
They told me what they wanted to do, which was to run Android in
a container, but how they accomplished it was a set of details they
didn't share. I assume that you are right that they had to do
horrible things to either AppArmor or SELinux policy, or maybe both.
I also assume they wanted this as an environment to develop Android
applications, and may not have cared much about actual enforcement.
But they are happy users.

> I'm aware of *one* use case where SELinux is run in a container and
> that required a number of careful constraints on the use case and a
> good deal of hacking to enable.  I'm sure there are definitely people
> that *want* this, especially in the context of Ubuntu, but I really
> doubt this is in widespread use today.

What I know is that there is a community out there using it. I think
you're right that the way they're using it would be displeasing to
most of us.

>>> Why is it a forgone conclusion that a library would be necessary for
>>> basic operations?  If the kernel/userspace API is sane to begin with
>>> we could probably either significantly reduce or eliminate the need
>>> for additional libraries.
>> I'm using my experience with the "hideous" context format
>> ( "apparmor\0unconfined\0smack\0User\0" ) as a guide. Creating
>> a "sane" API for returning multiple lsm/context pairs is going
>> to be tricky. No one wants to require iterative calls to get a
>> collection of values for example. I've spent the past few years
>> trying to pound out APIs that are somewhat sane. I don't want to
>> spend another few years repeating the process for kernel APIs.
> See my earlier comment to John.  I care a lot about getting things
> right, and very little about how long it takes.  I'm sympathetic about
> the time and difficulty involved, but I see that as no reason to merge
> a not-good design.

>>> Yes, that's why I didn't bring up audit as it doesn't weigh on this
>>> decision.  If you really want to include audit for some reason, I'll
>>> simply remind you that I pushed back hard on overloading the existing
>>> subj/obj fields with a multiplexed label format, asking for individual
>>> subj/obj fields for each LSM.
>> Just pointing out that the stacking patches aren't that complicated.
> Ha!  Let's just agree to disagree on that point :)

OK, they're a teeny bit extensive.