Closing the BPF map permission loophole

Roberto Sassu roberto.sassu at huaweicloud.com
Tue Oct 4 08:03:27 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-09-30 at 16:43 -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 5:57 AM Roberto Sassu
> <roberto.sassu at huaweicloud.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2022-09-29 at 18:30 -0400, Paul Moore wrote:

> > > [NOTE: SELinux is currently the only LSM which provides BPF
> > > access
> > > controls, so they are going to be my example here and in the rest
> > > of
> > > this email.]
> > >
> > > In the case of SELinux, security_bpf_map() does check the access
> > > between the current task and the BPF map itself (which inherits
> > > its
> > > security label from its creator), with the actual permission
> > > requested
> > > being determined by the fmode_t parameter passed to the LSM hook.
> > > Looking at the current BPF code, the callers seem to take that
> > > from
> > > various different places
> > > (bpf_attr:{file_flags,map_flags,open_flags}).
> > > This could be due solely to the different operations being done
> > > by
> > > the
> > > callers, which would make me believe everything is correct, but
> > > given
> > > this thread it seems reasonable for someone with a better
> > > understanding of BPF than me to double check this.  Can you help
> > > verify that everything is okay here?
> >
> > I also don't have concerns on this part. eBPF maintainers can help
> > confirm.
> >
> > > Second, whenever the holder of the obtained fd wants to do an
> > >
> > > To be clear, from what I can see, it looks like the LSM is not
> > > checking the fd modes, but rather the modes stored in the
> > > bpf_attr,
> > > which I get the impression do not always match the fd
> > > modes.  Yes?
> > > No?
> >
> > Correct, there is no revalidation. Fd modes represent what LSMs
> > granted
> > to the fd holder.
>
> The "fd modes represent what LSMs grant the fd holder" comment
> doesn't
> make much sense to me, can you clarify this?  LSMs by design are not
> authoritative so I'm not sure how they would "grant" fd mode bits;
> LSMs can deny a process the ability to open a file, but that's about
> it.

If I understood correctly, for files, FMODE_CAN_READ reflects the fact
that the requestor asked for O_RDONLY/O_RDWR, and DAC+LSM granted that
permission. The same for FMODE_CAN_WRITE.

> > eBPF allows operations on the object behind the fd
> > depending on the stored fd modes (for maps, not sure about the
> > other
> > object types).
>
> Yes, it definitely seems as though BPF does not care at all about
> permissions at the fd level.  That seems odd to me, and I wonder how
> many BPF users truly understand that, but I suppose as long as
> unprivileged BPF is not allowed, there is at least some ability to
> dismiss the security concerns from a DAC perspective.  As mentioned
> previously, I do worry about that becoming a problem in the future.
>
> I am also growing increasingly concerned that the BPF fd passing
> check
> in bpf_fd_pass() is not correct, but it isn't clear to me what the
> correct thing is in this case.  How does one determine what access
> can
> potentially be requested when a BPF fd is passed between processes if
> the fd mode bits are not meaningful?  I'm not sure we have any other
> information to go on at this point in the code ... do we just have to
> assume that all passed maps are read/write (and programs can be run)
> regardless of the fd mode bits?

Fd modes are meaningful in the sense that they allow certain map
operations. FMODE_CAN_READ allows read-like operations (lookup, dump,
...), FMODE_CAN_WRITE allows write-like operations (update, ...).

If we apply what I said above for files, FMODE_CAN_READ means that the
requestor passed BPF_F_RDONLY/zero to the BPF_MAP_GET_FD_BY_ID or
OBJ_GET operations of the bpf() system call, and LSMs granted that
operation (security_bpf_map() returned zero). So, at the end, eBPF
returned to the requestor a new fd with the appropriate fd modes set.

bpf_fd_pass() does the same as if the current process requested the map
fd by itself. If that process is receiving a fd with FMODE_CAN_READ, it
should pass a check as if security_bpf_map() is executed with the eBPF
flags BPF_F_RDONLY/zero.

If DAC check was also included, FMODE_CAN_READ would also mean that the
owner of the map allowed the requestor to access it.

> > > There is also LSM/SELinux code which checks the permissions when
> > > BPF
> > > map is passed between tasks via a fd.  Currently the SELinux
> > > check
> > > only looks at the file:f_mode to get the permissions to check,
> > > but if
> > > the f_mode bits are not the authoritative record of what is
> > > allowed
> > > in
> > > the BPF map, perhaps we need to change that to use one of the
> > > bpf_attr
> > > mode bits (my gut feeling is bpf_attr:open_flags)?

> > > You'll need to treat me like an idiot when it comes to BPF maps
> > > ;)
> >
> > Argh, sorry!
>
> No worries :)
>
> > > I did a very quick read on them right now and it looks like a BPF
> > > map
> > > iterator would just be a combination of BPF read and execute
> > > ("bpf {
> > > map_read prog_run }" in SELinux policy terms).  Would it make
> > > more
> > > sense to just use the existing security_bpf_map() and
> > > security_bpf_prog() hooks here?
> >
> > If I can make an example, if you have a linked list, a map iterator
> > is
> > like calling a function for each element of the list, allowing the
> > function to read and write the element.
>
> Thanks, that matches with what I found and why I thought an iterator
> matches well with a map read and program run permission.  Do you
> agree?

I thought it matches also with map write. Look at this code
(kernel/bpf/map_iter.c):

static const struct bpf_iter_reg bpf_map_elem_reg_info = {
[...]
	.ctx_arg_info		= {
		{ offsetof(struct bpf_iter__bpf_map_elem, key),
		  PTR_TO_BUF | PTR_MAYBE_NULL | MEM_RDONLY },
		{ offsetof(struct bpf_iter__bpf_map_elem, value),
		  PTR_TO_BUF | PTR_MAYBE_NULL },
	},
};

The flags above tell some attributes of each map key and value. In this
case only the key is read-only. The value is read-write. The eBPF
verifier enforces this, LSMs are not involved.

> > For now I didn't think about programs. Lorenz, which reported this
> > issue in the first place, is planning on rethinking access control
> > on
> > all eBPF objects.
>
> That's probably not a bad idea, or at the very least I think it would
> be a very good idea to draft a document about how eBPF access control
> is supposed to work.  Start with the DAC side of things and we can
> extend it to include those LSMs which provide eBPF controls.  Does
> something like that already exist?

Not that I'm aware of. But it is a very good idea.

> > When you create a map iterator, you pass the program you want to
> > run
> > and a map reference to bpftool (user space). bpftool first
> > retrieves
> > the fds for the program and the map (thus, security_bpf_prog() and
> > security_bpf_map() are called).
>
> Okay, that's good, we should have the right LSM controls in place at
> this point in the process.
>
> > The fds are then passed to the kernel
> > with another system call to create the map iterator. The map
> > iterator
> > is a named kernel object, with a corresponding file in the bpf
> > filesystem.
>
> The iterator has no additional user data, or system state, beyond the
> associated BPF program and map data, yes?  If that is the case I
> think
> we may be able to avoid treating it as a proper object from a SELinux
> perspective as long as we ensure that access is checked against the
> associated map and program.

Not totally sure about user data or system state, but yes. We probably
should be able to simply use existing map and program permissions. We
still have filesystem permissions to prevent access to the iterator.

> > Reading that file causes the iteration to start, by running
> > the program for each map element.
>
> ... and we should definitely have an LSM access control check here,
> although as mentioned above we may be able to just leverage the
> existing security_bpf_map() and security_bpf_prog() hooks.  Do we do
> that currently?

I think so, although at the moment there is no restriction on which
program can access a map. In the long term, maybe it would be good to
have finer granularity.

> > The only missing part is checking the fd modes granted by LSMs at
> > the
> > time the map iterator is created. If the map iterator allows read
> > and
> > write, both FMODE_CAN_READ and FMODE_CAN_WRITE should be set.
>
> Does the kernel enforce this from a DAC perspective?

At the moment not. I would place the DAC check close to
security_bpf_map().

The eBPF side of the security check (fd modes check) then remains the
same. What changed is which checks were made at the time the fd is
given to the requestor.

> > > Another instance of "can you please explain this use case?" ;)
> >
> > Lorenz discovered that. Despite LSMs check which permissions user
> > space
> > requested for a map fd, there is no corresponding check of the fd
> > modes. Normally, a map fd is passed in a system call to perform a
> > map
> > operation. In this case, it is not. It is set in the program code,
> > and
> > eBPF transforms the map fd into a map address suitable to be passed
> > kernel helpers which directly access the kernel object.
>
> Yes, the LSMs use the fmode_t bits that are passed to
> security_bpf_map() to determine the requested access permissions for
> the map operation.  When I looked at the callers yesterday, it looked
> like all of the security_bpf_map() callers were passing fmode_t bits
> from a bpf_attr and not directly from the fd.  I need some help in
> verifying that this is correct, but from what I've read thus far it
> appears that the BPF code in general is not concerned about fd mode
> bits.

Probably because the fd is not obtained as result of an open() but as
result of a bpf() system call.

> > > I'm wondering if we do want to move the SELinux BPF fd passing
> > > code
> > > check the bpf_attr:open_flags perms.  Thoughts?
> >
> > Seems correct as it is, but I'm not completely familiar with this
> > work.
> > As long as you ensure that the fd holder has the right to access
> > the
> > map, then it will be still responsibility of eBPF to just check the
> > fd
> > modes.
>
> Looking at this further, I don't believe we would have the open_flags
> perms at the time the BPF fd was passed anyway.

We have the fd modes, which we can translate to map permissions (not
exactly to open_flags or file_flags: FMODE_CAN_READ could be set as
result of setting those flags to BPF_F_RDONLY or zero).

> > > While this does not seem to me a concern from MAC perspective, as
> > >
> > > Agreed.  The access controls need to work both for DAC and
> > > DAC+LSM.
> >
> > @all, what do you think?
>
> It is worth reminding everyone this is pretty much how the rest of
> the
> kernel works, you can't ignore the DAC controls (file mode bits,
> capabilities, etc.) in favor of a pure LSM-based system, and you
> can't
> avoid the necessary LSM hooks because "LSMs are stupid".  People
> build
> Linux systems both as DAC only and DAC+LSM, we need to make sure we
> can Do The Right Thing in both cases.
>
> > > Is the plan to ensure that the map and fd permissions are correct

> > > Maybe?  Maybe not?  I don't know, can you help me understand map
> > > pinning a bit more first?
> >
> > I'm not completely sure that this is correct. Pinning a map seems
> > to me
> > like creating a new dentry for the inode.
>
> Once again, can someone explain BPF map pinning?

Will let the eBPF maintainers explain this better.

Roberto