LSM stacking in next for 6.1?

Casey Schaufler casey at schaufler-ca.com
Wed Aug 3 02:15:48 UTC 2022

On 8/2/2022 5:56 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 8:01 PM Casey Schaufler <casey at schaufler-ca.com> wrote:
>> I would like very much to get v38 or v39 of the LSM stacking for Apparmor
>> patch set in the LSM next branch for 6.1. The audit changes have polished
>> up nicely and I believe that all comments on the integrity code have been
>> addressed. The interface_lsm mechanism has been beaten to a frothy peak.
>> There are serious binder changes, but I think they address issues beyond
>> the needs of stacking. Changes outside these areas are pretty well limited
>> to LSM interface improvements.
> The LSM stacking patches are near the very top of my list to review
> once the merge window clears, the io_uring fixes are in (bug fix), and
> SCTP is somewhat sane again (bug fix).  I'm hopeful that the io_uring
> and SCTP stuff can be finished up in the next week or two.
>
> Since I'm the designated first stuckee now for the stacking stuff I
> want to go back through everything with fresh eyes, which probably
> isn't a bad idea since it has been a while since I looked at the full
> patchset from bottom to top.  I can tell you that I've never been
> really excited about the /proc changes,

I have been and remain perfectly happy to do something completely
different provided it works. The interface_lsm scheme as implemented
is horrible, but it's better than the half dozen alternatives I've
proposed. At least no one has pointed out a use case that it can't
satisfy. I take full responsibility for mucking up "current".