[RFC v2 19/19] ima: Setup securityfs for IMA namespace

Christian Brauner christian.brauner at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 6 14:42:36 UTC 2021

On Mon, Dec 06, 2021 at 09:21:15AM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Mon, 2021-12-06 at 15:11 +0100, Christian Brauner wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 03, 2021 at 01:06:13PM -0500, Stefan Berger wrote:
> > > On 12/3/21 12:03, James Bottomley wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > What I don't like about the fill_super is that it gets called too
> > > early:
> > >
> > > [   67.058611] securityfs_ns_create_mount @ 102 target user_ns:
> > > ffff95c010698c80; nr_extents: 0
> > > [   67.059836] securityfs_fill_super @ 47  user_ns:
> > > ffff95c010698c80;
> > > nr_extents: 0
> > >
> > > We are switching to the target user namespace in
> > > securityfs_ns_create_mount.  The expected nr_extents at this point
> > > is 0, since user_ns hasn't been configured, yet. But then
> > > security_fill_super is also called with nr_extents 0. We cannot use
> > > that, it's too early!
> >
> > So the problem is that someone could mount securityfs before any
> > idmappings are setup or what?
>
> Yes, not exactly: we put a call to initialize IMA in create_user_ns()
> but it's too early to have the mappings, so we can't create the
> securityfs entries in that call.  We need the inode to pick up the root
> owner from the s_user_ns mappings, so we can't create the dentries for
> the IMA securityfs entries until those mappings exist.
>
> I'm assuming that by the time someone tries to mount securityfs inside
> the namespace, the mappings are set up, which is why triggering the
> notifier to add the files on first mount seems like the best place to
> put it.
>
> >  How does moving the setup to a later stage help at all? I'm
> > struggling to make sense of this.
>
> It's not moving all the setup, just the creation of the securityfs
> entries.
>
> >  When or even if idmappings are written isn't under imas control.
> > Someone could mount securityfs without any idmappings setup. In that
> > case they should get what they deserve, everything owner by
> > overflowuid/overflowgid, no?
>
> Right, in the current scheme of doing things, if they still haven't
> written the mappings by the time they do the mount, they're just going
> to get nobody/nogroup as uid/gid, but that's their own fault.
>
> > Or you can require in fill_super that kuid 0 and kgid 0 are mapped
> > and fail if they aren't.
>
> We can't create the securityfs entries in fill_super ... I already
> tried and the locking just won't allow it.  And if we create them ahead

What is the locking issue there exactly?

I'm looking at ima_fs_ns_late_init() and there's nothing there that
would cause obvious issues. You might not be able to use
securityfs_create_*() in there for some reason but that just means you
need to add a simple helper. Nearly every filesystem that needs to
pre-create files does it in fill_super. So I really fail to see what the
issue is currently. I mist just miss something obvious.