[RFC 20/20] ima: Setup securityfs_ns for IMA namespace

James Bottomley jejb at linux.ibm.com
Wed Dec 1 22:01:41 UTC 2021

On Wed, 2021-12-01 at 16:34 -0500, Stefan Berger wrote:
> On 12/1/21 16:11, James Bottomley wrote:

> > > I am surprised you get this mapping even after commenting the
> > > permission adjustments... it doesn't work for me when I comment
> > > them
> > > out:
> > >
> > > [stefanb at ima-ns-dev rootfs]$ unshare -r --user --mount
> > > [root at ima-ns-dev rootfs]# mount -t securityfs_ns none
> > > /sys/kernel/security/
> > > [root at ima-ns-dev rootfs]# cd /sys/kernel/security/ima/
> > > [root at ima-ns-dev ima]# ls -l
> > > total 0
> > > -r--r-----. 1 nobody nobody 0 Dec  1 15:20
> > > ascii_runtime_measurements
> > > -r--r-----. 1 nobody nobody 0 Dec  1 15:20
> > > binary_runtime_measurements
> > > -rw-------. 1 nobody nobody 0 Dec  1 15:20 policy
> > > -r--r-----. 1 nobody nobody 0 Dec  1 15:20
> > > runtime_measurements_count
> > > -r--r-----. 1 nobody nobody 0 Dec  1 15:20 violations
> > > [root at ima-ns-dev ima]# cat /proc/self/uid_map
> > >            0       1000          1
> > > [root at ima-ns-dev ima]# cat /proc/self/gid_map
> > >            0       1000          1
> > >
> > > The initialization of securityfs and setup of files and
> > > directories
> > > happens at the same time as the IMA namespace is created. At this
> > > time there are no user mappings available, so that's why I need
> > > make the adjustments 'late'.
> > There is one other possible difference:  To get the correct
> > s_user_ns
>
> I am currently wondering why I cannot re-create your setup while
> disabling the remapping...

OK, I think I figured it out.  When I applied your patches, it was on
top of my existing ones, so I had to massage them a bit.

Your problem is the securityfs inode creation is triggered inside
create_user_ns, which means it happens *before* ushare writes to the
proc/self/uid_map file, so the securityfs_inodes are always created on
an empty mapping and i_write_uid always sets the inode uid to -1.

I don't see this because my setup for everything is triggered off the
first use of the IMA namespace.  You'd need to have some type of lazy
setup of the inodes as well to give unshare time to install the uid/gid
mappings.

James