[RFC 20/20] ima: Setup securityfs_ns for IMA namespace

Stefan Berger stefanb at linux.ibm.com
Wed Dec 1 20:25:21 UTC 2021

On 12/1/21 14:21, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-12-01 at 13:11 -0500, Stefan Berger wrote:
>> On 12/1/21 12:56, James Bottomley wrote:
> [...]
>> I tried this with runc and a user namespace active mapping uid 1000
>> on the host to uid 0 in the container. There I run into the problem
>> that  all of the files and directories without the above work-around
>> are mapped to 'nobody', just like all the files in sysfs in this case
>> are also mapped to nobody. This code resolved the issue.
> So I applied your patches with the permission shift commented out and
> instrumented inode_alloc() to see where it might be failing and I
> actually find it all works as expected for me:
>
> ejb at testdeb:~> unshare -r --user --mount --ima
> root at testdeb:~# mount -t securityfs_ns none /sys/kernel/security
> root at testdeb:~# ls -l /sys/kernel/security/ima/
> total 0
> -r--r----- 1 root root 0 Dec  1 19:11 ascii_runtime_measurements
> -r--r----- 1 root root 0 Dec  1 19:11 binary_runtime_measurements
> -rw------- 1 root root 0 Dec  1 19:11 policy
> -r--r----- 1 root root 0 Dec  1 19:11 runtime_measurements_count
> -r--r----- 1 root root 0 Dec  1 19:11 violations
>
> I think your problem is something to do with how runc is installing the
> uid/gid mappings.  If it's installing them after the security_ns inodes
> are created then they get the -1 value (because no mappings exist in
> s_user_ns).  I can even demonstrate this by forcing unshare to enter
> the IMA namespace before writing the mapping values and I'll see
> "nobody nogroup" above like you do.

I am surprised you get this mapping even after commenting the permission
adjustments... it doesn't work for me when I comment them out:

[stefanb at ima-ns-dev rootfs]$ unshare -r --user --mount
[root at ima-ns-dev rootfs]# mount -t securityfs_ns none /sys/kernel/security/
[root at ima-ns-dev rootfs]# cd /sys/kernel/security/ima/
[root at ima-ns-dev ima]# ls -l
total 0
-r--r-----. 1 nobody nobody 0 Dec  1 15:20 ascii_runtime_measurements
-r--r-----. 1 nobody nobody 0 Dec  1 15:20 binary_runtime_measurements
-rw-------. 1 nobody nobody 0 Dec  1 15:20 policy
-r--r-----. 1 nobody nobody 0 Dec  1 15:20 runtime_measurements_count
-r--r-----. 1 nobody nobody 0 Dec  1 15:20 violations
[root at ima-ns-dev ima]# cat /proc/self/uid_map
          0       1000          1
[root at ima-ns-dev ima]# cat /proc/self/gid_map
          0       1000          1

The initialization of securityfs and setup of files and directories
happens at the same time as the IMA namespace is created. At this time
there are no user mappings available, so that's why I need to make the
adjustments 'late'.

    Stefan