file metadata via fs API (was: [GIT PULL] Filesystem Information)

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Aug 11 16:09:36 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 9:05 AM Al Viro <viro at zeniv.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> Except that you suddenly see non-directory dentries get children.
> And a lot of dcache-related logics needs to be changed if that
> becomes possible.

Yeah, I think you'd basically need to associate a (dynamic)
mount-point to that path when you start doing O_ALT. Or something.

And it might not be reasonably implementable. I just think that as
_interface_ it's unambiguous and fairly clean, and if Miklos can
implement something like that, I think it would be maintainable.

No?

                Linus