Basic all-cap/all-lower case question on Environment variables

J Freyensee why2jjj.linux at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 21:19:52 UTC 2019

I have a basic question on environment variables, that with some
documentation I have seen in the security modules like Tomoyo I'm hoping
this could be the right list to ask the following question.

System environment variables, like PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, HOME, etc.
Can they ever default to all lower-case in a Linux Distro, i.e., path,
ld_library_path, home, etc?  If so, is there a mode bit, kernel
configuration setting or sysfs file to check for this setting?

I swear I have worked on Linux systems years ago that had 'path' and
'ld_library_path' default to lower-case, but maybe I mis-recall.

Thanks for the info in advance, regards,
Jay