[GIT PULL] SafeSetID MAINTAINERS file update for v5.3

Micah Morton mortonm at chromium.org
Tue Aug 6 16:32:14 UTC 2019

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 12:27 PM Konstantin Ryabitsev
<konstantin at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 12:17:49PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >> However, I suspect that getting message-ids for all your pull
> >> requests
> >> would significantly complicate your workflow.
> >
> >Yeah, that would be a noticeable annoyance. If I were to process pull
> >requests the way I used to process emailed patches (ie "git am -s" on
> >a mailbox) that would be a natural thing to perhaps do, but it's not
> >at all how it ends up working. Having to save the pull request email
> >to then process it with some script would turn it into a chore.
> >
> >I think the pr-tracker-bot clearly catches most cases as it is, and
> >it's only the occasional "somebody did something odd" that then misses
> >an automated response. Not a huge deal. For me it was actually more
> >the "I didn't understand why the response didn't happen", not so much
> >"I really want to always see responses".
>
> Ok, let me add a fix for Re: at the start -- this won't make things
> significantly more expensive, but will catch this particular corner
> case.
>
> Best regards,
> -K

Linus, thanks for the tips earlier about gitk. I'll use that in the future.

Unfortunately I didn't have the mental model quite right of what
happens during the pull request. I was thinking along the lines of my
commits being cherry picked onto your tree, rather than how it
actually happens with git merge where my tree's commit history needs
to match yours perfectly.