[RFC 00/12] Multi-Key Total Memory Encryption API (MKTME)

Alison Schofield alison.schofield at intel.com
Mon Sep 10 19:10:59 UTC 2018

On Sun, Sep 09, 2018 at 06:10:19PM -0700, Huang, Kai wrote:

> [...]

Kai,

That was the direction I had in mind at the onset: the MKTME key service
would be one patch(set) and the MKTME encrypt_mprotect() system call would
be delivered in another patch(set).

That separation falls apart when the shared structures and functions are
introduced. That 'mktme_map' (maps userspace keys to hardware keyid slots),
and the 'encrypt_count' array (counts vma's outstanding for each key) need
to be shared by both pieces. These mktme special shared structures and the
functions that operate on them are all defined in arch/x86/mm/mktme.h,.c.
>From there they can be shared with the security/keys/mktme_keys.c

Once I made that separation, I stuck with it. Those structures, and any
functions that manipulate those structures live in arch/x86/mm/mktme.h,c

You noted that some of the functions that operate on the encrypt_count
might not need to be over in arch/x86/mm/mktme.c because they are not used
in the mm code. That is true.  But, then I'd be splitting up the definition
of the struct and the funcs that operate on it. So, I stuck with keeping it
all together in the arch specific mktme files.

Having said all the above, I do welcome other ideas on how to better organize
the code.

Back to your request- to split it into smaller patchsets might look something
like:
1) the MKTME API helpers
2) the MKTME Key Service
3) the MKTME syscall encrypt_mprotect()

I'm not clear that would make anyones review life easier, than picking
the same pieces out of the greater patchset.

Suggestions welcome,
Alison

> And since encrypt_mprotect() is a new syscall, you may need to add more lists for the review, ie, linux-api, and maybe linux-kernel as well.

Got it. Will include theses in v1.