KASAN: use-after-free Read in task_is_descendant

Oleg Nesterov oleg at redhat.com
Mon Oct 22 13:46:34 UTC 2018

On 10/22, Tetsuo Handa wrote:

> > However, task_is_descendant() looks unnecessarily complicated, it could be
> >
> > 	static int task_is_descendant(struct task_struct *parent,
> > 				      struct task_struct *child)
> > 	{
> > 		int rc = 0;
> > 		struct task_struct *walker;
> >
> > 		if (!parent || !child)
> > 			return 0;
> >
> > 		rcu_read_lock();
> > 		for (walker = child; walker->pid; walker = rcu_dereference(walker->real_parent))
> > 			if (same_thread_group(parent, walker)) {
> > 				rc = 1;
> > 				break;
> > 			}
> > 		rcu_read_unlock();
> >
> > 		return rc;
> > 	}
> >
> > And again, I do not know how/if yama ensures that child is rcu-protected, perhaps
> > task_is_descendant() needs to check pid_alive(child) right after rcu_read_lock() ?
>
> Since the caller (ptrace() path) called get_task_struct(child), child itself can't be
> released. Do we still need pid_alive(child) ?

get_task_struct(child) can only ensure that this task_struct can't be freed.

Suppose that this child exits after get_task_struct(), then its real_parent exits
too and calls call_rcu(delayed_put_task_struct).

Now, when task_is_descendant() is called, rcu_read_lock() can happen after rcu gp,
iow child->parent can be already freed/reused/unmapped.

We need to ensure that child is still protected by RCU.

Oleg.