Documenting the proposal for TPM 2.0 security in the face of bus interposer attacks

Tue Nov 20 17:25:43 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-11-20 at 14:41 +0200, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 01:10:49PM +0200, Jarkko Sakkinen wrote:
> > This is basically rewrite of TPM genie paper with extras. Maybe
> > just shorten it to include the proposed architecture and point to
> > the TPM Genie paper (which is not in the references at all ATM).
> >
> > The way I see it the data validation is way more important than
> > protecting against physical interposer to be frank.
> >
> > The attack scenario would require to open the damn device. For
> > laptop that would leave physical marks (i.e. evil maid). In a data
> > center with armed guards I would wish you good luck accomplishing
> > it. It is not anything like sticking a USB stick and run.
> >
> > We can take a fix into Linux with a clean implementation but it
> > needs to be an opt-in feature because not all users will want to
> > use it.
>
> Someone (might have been either Mimi or David Howells but cannot
> recall) correctly pointed out at LSS 2018 that you could just as
> easily spy and corrupt RAM if you have a time window to perform this
> type of attack.

Not using the simple plug in on the TPM bus, you can't.  The point is
basically the difference in the technology: the interposer is a simple,
easy to construct, plugin; a RAM spy is a huge JTAG thing that would be
hard even to fit into a modern thin laptop, let alone extremely
difficult to build.

James