Documenting the proposal for TPM 2.0 security in the face of bus interposer attacks

Jarkko Sakkinen jarkko.sakkinen at linux.intel.com
Tue Nov 20 11:10:49 UTC 2018

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 09:34:04AM -0800, James Bottomley wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I took the action at the Edinburgh meeting to document this, so the
> attached is what I'm proposing (I'll also add this to my patch set
> doing the implementation to live in Documentation/security/tpm/tpm-
> security.rst).  Please could you give it a read; one thing that came
> out of the Edinburgh meeting was that people with too much exposure to
> TPM crypto acquire twists in their brains which mean stuff which seems
> obvious to them isn't to anyone else, so I need external reviewers to
> assure me that the document is understandable by non-TPM security
> people.
>
> Once this passes the understandability bar, I'll pass it on to
> Microsoft and TianoCore/UEFI as our preferred mechanism for thwarting
> interposer attacks.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James
>
> ---
>
> TPM Security
> ============
>
> The object of this document is to describe how we make the kernel's
> use of the TPM reasonably robust in the face of external snooping and
> packet alteration attacks.  The current security document is for TPM
> 2.0.
>
> Introduction
> ------------
>
> The TPM is usually a discrete chip attached to a PC via some type of
> low bandwidth bus.  There are exceptions to this such as the Intel
> PTT, which is a software TPM running inside a software environment
> close to the CPU, which are subject to different attacks, but right at
> the moment, most hardened security environments require a discrete
> hardware TPM, which is the use case discussed here.
>
> Snooping and Alteration Attacks against the bus
>
> The current state of the art for snooping the TPM Genie hardware
> interposer https://www.nccgroup.trust/us/our-research/tpm-genie/ which
> is a simple external device that can be installed in a couple of
> seconds on any system or laptop.  However, the next phase of research
> seems to be hacking existing devices on the bus to act as interposers,
> so the fact that the attacker requires physical access for a few
> seconds might evaporate.  However, the goal of this document is to
> protect TPM secrets and integrity as far as we are able in this
> environment and to try to insure that if we can't prevent the attack
> then at least we can detect it.
>
> Unfortunately, most of the TPM functionality, including the hardware
> reset capability can be controlled by an attacker who has access to
> the bus, so we'll discuss some of the disruption possibilities below.
>
> Measurement (PCR) Integrity
> ---------------------------
>
> Since the attacker can send their own commands to the TPM, they can
> send arbitrary PCR extends and thus disrupt the measurement system,
> which would be an annoying denial of service attack.  However, there
> [...]

This is basically rewrite of TPM genie paper with extras. Maybe just
shorten it to include the proposed architecture and point to the TPM
Genie paper (which is not in the references at all ATM).

The way I see it the data validation is way more important than
protecting against physical interposer to be frank.

The attack scenario would require to open the damn device. For laptop
that would leave physical marks (i.e. evil maid). In a data center with
armed guards I would wish you good luck accomplishing it. It is not
anything like sticking a USB stick and run.

We can take a fix into Linux with a clean implementation but it needs
to be an opt-in feature because not all users will want to use it.

/Jarkko