[GIT PULL] security: general updates for v4.21

Casey Schaufler casey at schaufler-ca.com
Sat Dec 29 18:34:18 UTC 2018

On 12/28/2018 8:15 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 8:09 PM James Morris <jmorris at namei.org> wrote:
>> Yep, I understand what you mean. I can't find the discussion from several
>> years ago, but developers asked to be able to work with more current
>> kernels, and I recall you saying that if you want to do this, merge to a
>> specific -rc tag at least.
> If people really want it, maybe the merge can state that explicit
> thing, as it is I'm trying to push back on empty merges that don't
> explain why they even exist.
>
>                   Linus

The security tree tends to get changed from multiple directions,
most of which aren't based out of the security sub-system. The mount
rework from David is an excellent example. It gets hit just about
any time there's a significant VFS or networking change. Keeping
it current has helped find issues much earlier in the process.