[RFC v2 00/13] Multi-Key Total Memory Encryption API (MKTME)

Dan Williams dan.j.williams at intel.com
Thu Dec 6 01:25:55 UTC 2018

[ only responding to the pmem side of things... ]

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 5:09 PM Andy Lutomirski <luto at kernel.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 3:49 PM Dave Hansen <dave.hansen at intel.com> wrote:
[..]
> > We also haven't settled on the file-backed properties.  For file-backed,
> > my hope was that you could do:
> >
> >         ptr = mmap(fd, size, prot);
> >         printf("ciphertext: %x\n", *ptr);
> >         mprotect_encrypt(ptr, len, prot, keyid);
> >         printf("plaintext: %x\n", *ptr);
>
> Why would you ever want the plaintext?  Also, how does this work on a
> normal fs, where relocation of the file would cause the ciphertext to
> get lost?  It really seems to be that it should look more like
> dm-crypt where you encrypt a filesystem.  Maybe you'd just configure
> the pmem device to be encrypted before you mount it, or you'd get a
> new pmem-mktme device node instead.  This would also avoid some nasty
> multiple-copies-of-the-direct-map issue, since you'd only ever have
> one of them mapped.

Yes, this is really the only way it can work. Otherwise you need to
teach the filesystem that "these blocks can't move without the key
because encryption", and have an fs-feature flag to say "you can't
mount this legacy / encryption unaware filesystem from an older kernel
because we're not sure you'll move something and break the
encryption".

So pmem namespaces (volumes) would be encrypted providing something
similar to dm-crypt, although we're looking at following the lead of
the fscrypt key management scheme.