[GIT PULL] Kernel lockdown for secure boot

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Apr 4 00:25:20 UTC 2018

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 5:16 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at google.com> wrote:

> I ignored it because it's not a viable option. Part of the patchset
> disables various kernel command line options. If there's a kernel command
> line option that disables the patchset then it's pointless.

Honestly, I don't think the patchset is viable at all in that case.

No way will any sane distribution take it, potentially breaking a lot
of machines, and have no way to unbreak them except for "oh, btw, you
have to disable secure boot to get things to work again".

That would be insane.

So you'd better allow some command line options.

One reasonable option may be to just disable lockdown by default (to
make machines work reliably), and then have a "if you're anal about
security, add 'lockdown' to the kernel command line".

People who care about this already need to check the secure boot
status, so this would be just one more thing they'd check.

                Linus