Security updates for v4.15 and beyond

James Morris jmorris at namei.org
Mon Sep 25 04:59:23 UTC 2017

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017, Casey Schaufler wrote:

> On 9/23/2017 10:00 PM, James Morris wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > I plan on maintaining a separate branch for TPM (and other security
> > subsystems) from now on.
>
> Can you tell us how you expect this to work? I know
> there was discussion about this at the Security Summit.
> We need to get whatever needs doing lined up if we're
> going to make 4.15 happen smoothly.

I'll post a more detailed and general update in a few days when I'm back
in Sydney, but briefly, send me a pull request against my next-general
branch, which replaces the 'next' branch.  I'll sync that to -rc2 after
this email.

I'll fetch your branch into my next-smack branch, which will track
next-general.

All of these subsystem branches and next-general will be merged into
next-testing, for use by Stephen Rothwell for linux-next, and any other
general testing which may be done.

When the merge window opens, I'll merge the subsystem branches into
next-for-linus for him to pull.  If all is going well, this will be the
same as next-testing.  If there are problems in any of the branches, they
can be left out of next-for-linus until they're resolved.

Linus can then pull from that to get everything at once, or pull individual
branches as he sees fit.

In summary: track my next-general branch instead of 'next', and your
workflow is otherwise unchanged.

How does that sound?

--
James Morris