[RFC 0/3] WhiteEgret LSM module

Masanobu Koike masanobu2.koike at toshiba.co.jp
Tue May 30 11:11:57 UTC 2017

WhiteEgret is an LSM to simply provide a whitelisting-type
execution control.

An execution-whitelist, simply called whitelist, is a list
of executable components (e.g., applications, libraries)
that are approved to run on a host. The whitelist is used
to decide whether executable components are permitted to
execute or not. This mechanism can stop an execution of
unknown software, so it helps to stop the execution of
malicious code and other unauthorized software.
The whitelisting-type execution control works best in the
execution environments that are not changed for a long time,
for example, servers and control devices in industrial
control systems. This RFC provides a whitelisting-type
execution control implementation WhiteEgret.

Features of WhiteEgret

- Easier initial setup
All you have to do is to make a whitelist. The whitelist
shall contain all components that should be permitted
execution in the host. When we assume that the host does
not have malicious code in initial state, we just register
all executable components in the host to the whitelist.
The whitelist of WhiteEgret is assumed to contain at least
an absolute path and a hash value of the permitted
executable components.
WhiteEgret does not require policy generation which,
in general, is difficult and takes time for users.

- Shorten downtime in system updating
According to system update, we should update the whitelist.
It will take a short time. Consequently, system downtime
due to security configuration update can be reduced.

- Less restriction on operational environment
WhiteEgret does not depend on a file system, or on TPM.
Thus WhiteEgret has less restriction on operating environment.

Mechanism of WhiteEgret

WhiteEgret requires a user application called WhiteEgret User
Application (WEUA, for short). WhiteEgret utilizes the
bprm_check_security hook and the mmap_file hook.
WhiteEgret asks WEUA whether an executable component hooked
by the above hooks is permitted to execute or not.
If the response from the WEUA is "permit", then WhiteEgret
continues to process the executable component. If the response
is "not permit", then WhiteEgret returns an error and blocks
the execution of the executable component.
The bprm_check_security hook is triggered by execve system
call, so execution by almost all executable components are
hooked by the hook. However, because shared objects do not
invoke execve system call, WhiteEgret utilizes the mmap_file
hook to hook the memory mapping by a shared object.
Thus WhiteEgret ignores the mmap_file hook caused by
non-executable and by executable which calls execve system call.

To ask the permission to a WEUA, WhiteEgret sends an
absolute path of the executable component to the WEUA.
Then the WEUA is expected to work as follows.
The WEUA sees if the absolute path is contained in the whitelist.
If it exists, the WEUA compares a hash value of the executable
component indicated by the absolute path with that in the
whitelist to see whether the executable component is changed
or not after the whitelist is made. The WEUA returns "permit"
if both tests are passed, otherwise returns "not permit".

WhiteEgret has two interface to communicate between kernel
space and user space: netlink and device driver. Although we
plan on using netlink, kernel Oops rarely happens when we use
netlink. Because we have not determined the cause yet,
we provide another communication method using device driver.
(See ToDo #1)

The process of a WEUA is registered to WhiteEgret when it starts.
The CAP_NET_ADMIN capability is required for a process to
register to WhiteEgret. Once some process is registered,
after that, WhiteEgret rejects registration from the other
process by PID.
At the moment, authentication of WEUA by WhiteEgret at
registration has not implemented yet. Current authentication
function returns always "authenticated". (See ToDo #2)

To use WhiteEgret

Users have to prepare a whitelist and a WEUA to use WhiteEgret.
A sample WEUA is involved in samples/whiteegret/.

To enable WhiteEgret, you are required to build the kernel using
normal procedures with CONFIG_SECURITY_WHITEEGRET=y and
CONFIG_DEFAULT_SECURITY_WHITEEGRET=y (or pass
"security=whiteegret" on kernel's command line).

If you want to use device driver for communication between
kernel space and user space, then you are also required to
enable option CONFIG_SECURITY_WHITEEGRET_DRIVER.

ToDo
 1. Bug fix of communication when using netlink.
 2. Authentication of WEUA by WhiteEgret when the WEUA
    is registered to WhiteEgret.

Masanobu Koike (3):
  WhiteEgret: Add WhiteEgret core functions.
  WhiteEgret: Add device driver.
  WhiteEgret: Add an example of user application.

 drivers/Kconfig                         |   2 +
 drivers/Makefile                        |   1 +
 drivers/security/Kconfig                |   1 +
 drivers/security/Makefile               |   1 +
 drivers/security/whiteegret/Kconfig     |  10 +
 drivers/security/whiteegret/Makefile    |   3 +
 drivers/security/whiteegret/we_driver.c | 295 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/security/whiteegret/we_driver.h |  32 +++
 samples/Kconfig                         |   6 +
 samples/Makefile                        |   2 +-
 samples/whiteegret/Makefile             |  25 +++
 samples/whiteegret/checkwl.c            |  80 +++++++
 samples/whiteegret/checkwl.h            |  29 +++
 samples/whiteegret/gennl.c              | 232 +++++++++++++++++++
 samples/whiteegret/gennl_user.h         |  32 +++
 samples/whiteegret/main.c               | 234 +++++++++++++++++++
 security/Kconfig                        |   7 +-
 security/Makefile                       |   2 +
 security/whiteegret/Kconfig             |  21 ++
 security/whiteegret/Makefile            |   7 +
 security/whiteegret/auth.c              |  19 ++
 security/whiteegret/auth.h              |  12 +
 security/whiteegret/dd_com.c            |  79 +++++++
 security/whiteegret/dd_com.h            |  19 ++
 security/whiteegret/gennl.c             | 382 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 security/whiteegret/gennl.h             |  32 +++
 security/whiteegret/gennl_common.h      |  43 ++++
 security/whiteegret/init.c              |  69 ++++++
 security/whiteegret/main.c              | 340 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 security/whiteegret/print_msg.h         |  19 ++
 security/whiteegret/request.c           | 248 +++++++++++++++++++++
 security/whiteegret/request.h           |  79 +++++++
 security/whiteegret/returntoexec.h      |  14 ++
 security/whiteegret/we.h                |  72 ++++++
 security/whiteegret/we_common.h         |  19 ++
 create mode 100644 drivers/security/Kconfig
 create mode 100644 drivers/security/Makefile
 create mode 100644 drivers/security/whiteegret/Kconfig
 create mode 100644 drivers/security/whiteegret/Makefile
 create mode 100644 drivers/security/whiteegret/we_driver.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/security/whiteegret/we_driver.h
 create mode 100644 samples/whiteegret/Makefile
 create mode 100644 samples/whiteegret/checkwl.c
 create mode 100644 samples/whiteegret/checkwl.h
 create mode 100644 samples/whiteegret/gennl.c
 create mode 100644 samples/whiteegret/gennl_user.h
 create mode 100644 samples/whiteegret/main.c
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/Kconfig
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/Makefile
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/auth.c
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/auth.h
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/dd_com.c
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/dd_com.h
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/gennl.c
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/gennl.h
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/gennl_common.h
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/init.c
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/main.c
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/print_msg.h
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/request.c
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/request.h
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/returntoexec.h
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/we.h
 create mode 100644 security/whiteegret/we_common.h

--
2.9.3