[RFC 0/3] WhiteEgret LSM module

masanobu2.koike at toshiba.co.jp masanobu2.koike at toshiba.co.jp
Thu Jun 1 12:31:41 UTC 2017

Thank you for a lot of comments and suggestions.

We assume a system whose execution environment cannot be
changed for a long time. It includes industrial control
systems, and control devices are main target.
Owners of these systems do not want to change their execution
environments, including kernel update, for fear that the
systems might not run correctly.
As time goes on, new security vulnerabilities might be found
and new malwares might be allowed to access such devices.
We want to prohibit unknown executable objects from executing
on the devices.

Moreover, such devices, in general, continue to do the same
tasks for many years. Namely, executable objects for the tasks
are not changed for a long time.
So permitting only pre-determined executable objects to execute,
whitelisting execution control, is suitable for such devices.

I will reply later on technical aspects.

Thanks,

Masanobu Koike