[RFC 0/3] Safe, dynamically (un)loadable LSMs

Casey Schaufler casey at schaufler-ca.com
Tue Dec 5 22:56:22 UTC 2017

On 12/5/2017 2:02 AM, Sargun Dhillon wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 6:28 PM, Casey Schaufler <casey at schaufler-ca.com> wrote:
>> On 11/26/2017 2:15 PM, Sargun Dhillon wrote:
>>> This patchset introduces safe dynamic LSM support. It does this via
>>> SRCU-protected security hooks. It also EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPLs the symbols
>>> required to perform runtime loading, and unloading. The patchset is
>>> meant to introduce as little overhead as possible when not used.
>>> Additionally, the functionality is disabled by default.
>> Can you explain the value in being able to unload a security module?
>> I can see having a throttle on an active module, but what do you gain
>> by being able to unload it? Can it possibly be worth the inevitable
>> memory leaks and almost certain dangling pointers? The restrictions on
>> a security module that can work safely in this environment are significant.
>> I don't see any point in unloading a module that could work with those
>> restrictions. The overhead of making it unloadable is likely to exceed
>> the overhead of running it.
>>
> There are three things here:
> 1) I wanted to replicate what in-kernel security hooks could do.
> security_delete_hooks exists today, and although I'm not sure how it
> can safely be used, even though it called as list_del_rcu, I'm not
> sure if there is any way to ensure safety around ensuring there are no
> more remaining references. I didn't dig into this too deeply.

security_delete_hooks is only used by SELinux, and there is serious
talk of removing that use. If that comes about, and there are no users
of security_delete_hooks, we'll remove the interface.

> 2) In the future, I want to extend this patch and add the idea of
> "immutable hooks" i.e. hooks which can only be loaded, but not
> unloaded. If we combine this with the sealable memory allocator, it
> provides some interesting security guarantees, especially if we
> incorporate some of the other patches around the sealable memory
> allocator.

Currently the only hooks that can be removed are those for SELinux,
and as noted above, that facility may go away.

> 3) My personal reason for wanting this is actually tied to my use
> case. I have certain policies which are far easier to express by
> writing some C-code (a module), as opposed to writing a generic
> loader. Often times these modules are a few lines of code, and the
> rulesets are changed on the fly. Although this could be implemented be
> adding lots of hooks, the overhead starts to become unreasonable,
> especially when newer hooks obsolete older hooks. -- Think nftables or
> systemtap -- sometimes, the environment changes, and you need to
> reconfigure your system.

I'm not sure why you think there would be excessive overhead.
I understand why you might want them to be dynamically loadable,
but don't understand why you would want to unload them.

If you want an example of a security module that can change its
ruleset on the fly look at Smack. You can change the rules at any
time. No way, however, would I suggest trying to make it unloadable.

> I started going down the route of benchmarking these things, but
> unfortunately, with the machines I have access to, I can't see the
> performance counters, so I'm unable to see differences in performance
> other than wall-clock time. I can dig in a little bit more, but we can
> always gate module unloading behind a config flag if you think that's
> best. If it's disabled, there's no reason to do this whole SRCU thing
> at all.

I still don't see an argument for unloading a module.